Have you lost control of holding your urine? Well, you should know that it might be due to urinary incontinence. Read further to know more about urinary incontinence.
Quick facts about urinary incontinence
- About 200 million people worldwide are affected by urinary continence.
- It is four to five times more common in women than in men.
- One out of four women over the age of 18 experiences episodes of urinary incontinence.
- Around 70% of women complain of leaking urine during or after pregnancy.
- Around 50% of men that undergo prostate removal surgery will experience problems like urinary incontinence.
- Men are less likely to seek help for urinary incontinence.
- Only 25% of women seek medical help.
- Individuals with urinary incontinence typically wait four to six years before seeing a healthcare professional.
- 67% of patients avoid travelling due to the fear of social embarrassment.
- Two-thirds of female patients feel embarrassed, anxious or nervous most of the time due to their weak bladder control. Almost 70% worry that they smell of urine.
- 60% of patients feel that it affects their sleep.
- About one-third of patients admit they deal with relationship problems.
Urinary incontinence causes
Listed below are the most common urinary incontinence causes.
- Long-standing cough
- Long-standing sneezing
- Post menopause
- Aging due to negligence of the sphincter
- Uterus removal and prostate surgeries
- Urinary tract infections
- Medications such as heart or blood pressure medications, sedatives and muscle relaxants
- Uterus removal surgery which might damage muscles and ligaments, causing weak bladder control
- Prostate enlargement
- Bladder stones
- Nerve diseases such as stroke, Parkinson’s disease, brain tumor or a spinal injury
- Heavy caffeine intake
- Heavy alcohol consumption
Urinary incontinence symptoms
Urinary incontinence can be present in any of the following forms.
- Stress incontinence: Leaking is caused by sudden pressure while coughing, sneezing, exercising, dancing and swimming.
- Urge incontinence: This is due to sensitive or overactive bladder. The urge arises even with a small quantity of urine in the bladder. There can be an increased frequency of more than 8 to 10 times a day. There can be an urge to urinate even at the thought or sound of water or during sexual activity.
- Overflow incontinence: This is dribbling urine when the bladder fails to empty properly.
It is possible to have one or all combinations of the aforementioned symptoms.
Complications of urinary incontinence
Listed below are the complications of urinary incontinence.
- Rash, boils and infections due to skin irritation.
- Recurrent urinary tract infections and fever
- Obesity due to lack of exercise
- Unpleasant urine odor from the body
- Hygiene problems
- Disturbed sleep
- Low self-image
- Emotional and social isolation i.e., avoiding social gatherings and outings with the family
- Relationship issues between partners, avoiding intimacy
- Depression because of impaired quality of life
Diagnosis of urinary incontinence
Following are the steps to diagnose urinary incontinence.
- The homeopathic doctors will ask questions concerning urinary incontinence, including any emotional or social embarrassment that the condition might be causing.
- The homeopathic doctors will perform a medical assessment and clinical examination to understand the condition’s progress.
- They will understand the diagnosis, prognosis and outcome of the condition.
- They will propose the best treatment plan as per the stage of the disease.
- The patient might be asked to identify any related diseases.
Urinary incontinence treatment
The conventional treatments include anti-allergic medicines, surgery, pelvic floor exercise and physiotherapy. But there are possible side effects for conventional treatments. These include prolonged coughing and sneezing, obesity, prostate enlargement, and short-term relief.
Homeopathy is known to treat the root cause of the disease without any side-effects; it also takes care of the psychological damages caused by this condition. The advantages of urinary incontinence treatment include controlled urinary incontinence and treat the underlying cause.
It is highly recommended to visit the nearest homeopathy clinic as soon as you notice symptoms.